Olive Cheese Straws!
What a fantastic idea! Lots of people gravitate to the olives at the deli and salad bar, especially with all those varieties to sample. You certainly could eat a whole container of those yummy olives pretty quickly, one after another without thinking about it. Here’s an ingenious way to snack on your favorite olive without eating the whole container!
This recipe uses delicious puff pastry, cheddar and parmesan cheeses combined with our lovely olive. We don’t doubt that adding any type of baked fluffy/crispy ingredient, like puff pastry in this recipe, constitutes a recipe keeper. Also, by adding cheddar AND parmesan cheeses you’ll get an even more rich flavor to this twist, especially with that parmesan. It’s a savory snack that brings about a YUM. Kitchen Confidante brings us these Olive Cheese Straws as a delicious and easy snack or appetizer idea. Thank you!! They were inspired by a snacking program from California Ripe Olives and Kitchen Play. These olive cheese straws are said to keep for several days, so you can look forward to a super yummy afternoon snack for the week (if they last that long).
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup grated aged cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped California Ripe Olives
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- If frozen, thaw the puff pastry. Roll out the pastry into a rectangle (on a floured surface) about 12×30 inches.
- Whisk the egg with about 1 teaspoon of water and lightly brush on the pastry.
- Layer the olives, cheddar, parmesan and thyme on one side (half) of the pastry. Then fold the other half of the pastry over to cover the side with the olives and cheese. Lightly press with a rolling pin.
- Use a floured pizza cutter or knife and first cut around the edges to form a rectangle. Then, cut even strips and place on parchment paper. *You can twist the strips if you prefer.
- Place in refrigerator while you preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bake for 15 minutes then turn the straws over an bake for another 1-2 minutes. Let cool slightly and enjoy! YUM!
This is a fun snack to make. We bet that you could easily add some other favorite ingredients and be pleased with the result. Just thought of adding those mini pepperoni slices…guess it would be a pepperoni & olive pizza like twist. We could live with that. Enjoy this one!
Recipe source: http://kitchenconfidante.com