Creamy Sweet Potato Spinach Mac & Cheese!
What a GREAT use of time…trying a new MAC & CHEESE recipe! This Mac & Cheese creation caught our eye for the love of sweet potatoes alone. Sweet potatoes are great for trying different ways. Sweet potato in Mac & Cheese adds a lot of flavor and creaminess. We were excited when we found this recipe by Gina Matsoukas /Running to the Kitchen. She definitely has a lot of praise about this creamy and on the healthier side, Mac & Cheese dish and we agree that it’s awesome! Thanks, Gina! The big surprise ingredient for this dish is ALMOND MILK. That’s a plus for a healthy option in addition to eating that green leafy spinach, which is very good for you. All of the ingredients are easy to find at the grocery store and this recipe is super easy to do. This could be a great side dish to a BBQ dinner or even a main dish for the Mac & Cheese lovers!
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 3/4 cups Silk Unsweetened Original Almondmilk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated Jarlsberg cheese
- 1/2 pound elbow pasta
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach
- Cook your sweet potatoes (boil in pot about 10 minutes until tender) and then puree in food processor (add 1/4 cup almond milk) until potato puree is smooth.
- Cook your pasta (boil in pot until done-follow box directions).
- In separate pot melt butter with garlic and red pepper flakes, then add flour and stir/cook for 1 minute. Add remaining almond milk and stir/whisk about 3-4 minutes until thickened. Once thick, add the sweet potato puree. Add nutmeg and salt/pepper to taste. Now, stir in the cheese and spinach until cheese melts and the spinach wilts.
- Once pasta is cooked and drained, POUR your sweet potato, spinach and cheesy mixture on those noodles and mix it all up! YUM, YUM!
What a great idea for sweet potatoes and spinach, huh? Seems so natural to add them to Mac & Cheese.
So, now you can enjoy a creamy Mac & Cheese dish with some good and tasty choices. You’ve used some healthy ingredients and even avoided all that butter in a typical cheesy dish. If you’re not that thrilled with Almond Milk, then of course prepare your cheese mixture with dairy milk, but still try out Mac & Cheese with the sweet potato puree and spinach. Bet it’s good either way.
Recipe source: http://www.runningtothekitchen.com