Got a craving for a Ham Sandwich? Try a new Ham Sammie with Juicy Pear and even better, PRESS it like a Panini! YUM! This awesome sandwich is a gooey and yummy “Panini like” or “Grilled Cheese like” sandwich featuring classic favorites of ham, swiss cheese and dijon mustard. But, what sets it apart is layering slices of juicy pear which gives it fresh flavor and great texture! Sometimes, it’s fun to add some everyday fruits to our classic sandwiches. We’ve seen apples added to grilled cheese sandwiches, so why not add pear slices to this ham sandwich. Great idea and a thanks to Framed Cooks for this recipe. They adapted this sandwich from a recipe from Everyday Food, and we sure like what made. A definite YUM follows this picture:
Pressed Pear, Ham & Swiss Sandwich
YUM, right? Looks like a sandwich that we would order in a restaurant! Here’s what to do:
- 4 slices hearty bread
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- 4 ounces thinly sliced ham
- 2 leaves romaine lettuce, folded to the size of the bread
- 1 pear, cored and thinly sliced
- Fresh ground pepper
- Heat your skillet to medium.
- Brush one side of each slice of bread with olive oil and the other side (inside side) with mustard.
- Layer the ham, cheese, pear slices and lettuce on the bread and add pepper to taste. Top with other bread slice.
- Ready for the skillet… place sandwich in skillet and press/weigh down the sandwich with something heavy (small skillet, sandwich or bacon press).
- Cook until golden brown and cheese is melty. YUM!
We think this sandwich could be prepared in a Panini maker if you have one of those, too! The key is to press it! There’s probably a lot of different breads that would work well with this sandwich, too. How about sourdough, sourdough & rosemary, rye, pumpernickel or potato bread…any of those would be delicious. What’s awesome about HOT SAMMIES is that you can easily add a new ingredient, like pear slices one day, and enjoy a totally different sandwich! YUM!
Recipe source: http://www.framedcooks.com