No Deep Frying Necessary…
Baked Banana Wontons & Coconut Caramel Sauce
You don’t have to deep fry these bananas to get a crispy treat! Think of these goodies as a healthier “banana fair food”. They have that popular crispy outer shell from the wonton wrappers and the inside bursts with banana and cinnamon. YUM! These banana baked wontons are from oh my veggies and they are a super and delicious way to enjoy bananas! To make these banana goodies even better, this recipe features a COCONUT & CARAMEL SAUCE (which is actually vegan). Oh my veggies says that by using coconut oil on the wonton wrappers, they come super close to tasting like they’re deep fried wontons. Wow! You are awesome, oh my veggies. In fact, these banana baked wontons are only about 30 calories each. Good to know. So, make a couple of batches and don’t worry too much about keeping count of how many you eat 🙂 right?!
- 1 medium banana, mashed with a fork
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 16 wonton wrappers
- 1 tsp. coconut oil, melted or cooking spray
- 1/3 cup coconut milk (not light—you need the full-fat kind)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven 400 degrees, F.
- Mix bananas and cinnamon in bowl.
- Place heaping teaspoon of banana mixture in center of wonton wrapper. Brush water on inside edges of wonton wrapper, fold into triangle and press edges together to seal.
- Brush or spray each side of finished wonton wth coconut oil or cooking spray. Place on baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, until corners are brown and crispy.
Coconut Caramel Sauce:
- Whisk coconut milk, vanilla and salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and water in sauce pan, medium heat, allow it to come to a boil. DO NOT STIR. Once it boils, mixture will start to turn to a golden color, then light brown (it will smell like caramel)…takes about 6 minutes.
- Once it starts to turn brown, slowly pour in coconut milk mixture, whisk constantly and quickly. Continue whisking until sugar turns thick and a light caramel color, takes about 5 minutes so stay with it. Any hardened sugar on the whisk should melt while stirring. DONE!
- Drizzle yummy coconut caramel sauce on your banana wontons! YUM!
As you can see in the pic, these yummy baked banana wontons go GREAT with VANILLA ICE CREAM! We completely agree. These crispy banana treats would also be a good substitute for a classic apple pie with vanilla ice cream & caramel sauce. The coconut flavor in the caramel sauce really brings out yummy flavor. Many of us love coconut creme pie with caramel sauce…we can see why coconut & caramel are a hit for this recipe, too.
Recipe source: http://ohmyveggies.com