Thai Peanut Popcorn!
Are you a fan of Thai peanut sauce? If yes, then think about adding it to a classic snack of popcorn. We found a great recipe from Susan at Simple Healthy Kitchen. Not only does this recipe tempt you to try that distinct flavor of Thai peanut sauce on your popcorn, but it also gives you an easy and different way to pop your popcorn. It’s actually oil free…just grab a plain brown paper lunch bag. Neat alternative if you want to avoid some calories and fat from the typical oil used when popping popcorn. Some recipes instruct you to place the paper bag upright in the microwave while others say to lay it on its side, like this recipe does. Do whatever works best for you. If anything, give the Thai Peanut Sauce a try…even with your standard boxed microwave popcorn if you’re not into the brown paper bag thing. The yummy flavor of the peanut sauce is key here.
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 to 2 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce (depending on taste)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- roasted peanuts (optional)
- (1 brown paper lunch bag for popping popcorn)
- Add popcorn to the brown paper lunch bag with kernels covering the bottom of the bag. Fold over the top of the bag so the popcorn won’t pop out. Place bag flat side down in microwave, cook about 2 minutes or until popping is slowed for a few seconds between pops. When done, pour popcorn in bowl and set aside.
- In small saucepan, add honey and sugar and bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add sriracha, peanut butter and garlic. Stir well.
- Pour peanut sauce over popcorn and mix to cover evenly. Add peanuts (optional) and combine well. Let popcorn mixture cool for 10-15 minutes before serving (you can spread out the popcorn on parchment paper to help the sauce adhere to the popcorn).
This is a great addition to recipes that you may have for popcorn seasonings. Check out our other posts on making yummy popcorn snacks.
Recipe source: http://www.simplehealthykitchen.com