Enjoy some fruit this summer in NEW and DELICIOUS ways! Chances are, you’ll be looking forward to grilling out in the summer time. So bring some fruit to your cookout and get creative! Check out this dip that will surprise the chips & dip fan at your cookout. Even better, serve this beautiful golden orange fruit and sweet onion dip with your favorite GRILLED baguette slices!
Creamy Apricot and Onion Dip!
For this awesome dip, you can use either APRICOTS or NECTARINES! Both will GRILL nicely and bring a mildly sweet flavor to this savory onion dip. After all, apricots and nectarines are a closely related fruit so you really can’t go wrong with using either fruit in this dip. In fact, why not try this recipe with peaches, too? We would try all 3, just so we could eat it again and again. This recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens, which is always a great source of good food ideas. We love to find different ways to use fruits, especially when grilling is involved. YUM!
- 4 apricots or 2 nectarines (about 3/4 lb.), pitted and sliced into 8 wedges each
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
- 3/4 cup dairy sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp. snipped fresh chives
- bread baguette slices
- In medium bowl, toss apricot or nectarine wedges with 1 tsp. olive oil and chili powder. Brush the onion slices with the remaining 1 tsp. of olive oil.
- Grill your apricot/nectarine wedges, directly over heat/coals (medium) for 3-4 minutes per side until tender & good grill marks (wedges should still retain their shape). Remove and cool, 10 minutes.
- Grill your onions for 7-8 minutes per side until tender & good grill marks. Remove and cool, 10 minutes.
- In bowl, combine sour cream, mayo, salt, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Chop the cooled onions into small pieces and stir within this sour cream mixture.
- Coarsely chop cooled apricot/nectarine wedges and place on top of onion dip mixture. When ready to serve, stir in the wedges into the dip.
Grill or toast your bread baguette slices and sprinkle with fresh chives. You can also serve with your favorite chips. We think that Pita chips would be yummy! Grab your favorite bag of Pita chips and enjoy. But, if you wanted to grill everything, then you could cut some pita bread into dipping size, brush with olive oil and place them on the grill, too! The pita chips would be a great thick and textured chip for this yummy dip. You can’t go wrong with both baguettes and chips with this dip.
Recipe Source: http://www.bhg.com