Who loves French Onion Soup? We do! We were super excited to see this Sammie…
French Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
Have you ever eaten french onion soup in a bread bowl…with sourdough bread? YUM! This grilled cheese reminds us of that. Yummy sourdough bread and carmelized onions are just a perfect pair. This recipe comes from Jessica at Portuguese Girl Cooks. Jessica uses sourdough bread and we definitely like grilled sammies with that distinct flavor of sourdough bread. Everything about this recipe brings out the bold flavor of french onion soup! It’s also a minimal ingredient list recipe, which is a plus. Just take a little time to get those onions carmelized right and you’ve got a winner sandwich here. After all, carmelizing onions is time well spent for a super, tasty result. Lots of yummy recipes include those golden onions. Here’s how you do it:
*For making 2 sandwiches:
- 2 medium yellow onions (sliced thin, 1/4″)
- 3 tbsp butter (softened)
- 3 tbsp white wine
- gruyere cheese (4.5 oz shredded)
- sliced sourdough bread (4 slices)
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- Carmelize your onions: Melt butter in medium heat pan and add onions. Stir onions until they start to brown and have softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add a pinch of salt & pepper. Spread onions into an even layer, cover and reduce heat to low. Stir about every 5 minutes. Cook until onions are a nice carmelized brown, about 25 minutes total time. **If you have more onions, cooking time will take a little longer.
- To get those yummy brown bits of onion on the bottom of your pan, deglaze your pan with the white wine. Increase heat to medium high and add white wine, about 1-2 minutes liquid will absorb. Scoop up those bits.
- Butter the outside slices of bread and place in skillet, buttered side down. Layer with cheese, then carmelized onions, then more cheese. Cook until cheese is melty and bread is golden brown. YUM!
This is a GREAT grilled cheese, all year ’round. You don’t have to wait for the cooler months to enjoy the taste of french onion soup…just make this french onion grilled cheese sammie!
Recipe source: http://www.portuguesegirlcooks.com