The LOADED MASHED (and even BAKED) POTATO is a winner, no doubt. How awesome would it be if you could eat one, two, or three loaded mashed potatoes in one sitting without bursting? That would be hard to do with a regular sized potato. So, go for it with these mini mashed potato cakes…YUM! Two or three or four of these little cakes equals a very satisfying snack. Great for football parties or even a twist for New Year’s Eve snacks. Another winner recipe for anytime, any day.
We found this recipe from Just Putzing Around the Kitchen and it looked so good. We liked that this was one of those recipes that you could easily make with stuff you may already have in your kitchen. If making these mashed potato cakes on their own, doesn’t appeal to you then what about trying this recipe as a leftover and money saver option? We agree with Just Putzing Around the Kitchen, that this is a great way to use leftover mashed potatoes. Why not?
- Instant mashed potatoes packet/box OR Leftover mashed potatoes (this recipe uses 1 packet of instant mashed potatoes so, if using leftover: mashed would be 3-4 cups)
- 2/3 cup Colby Jack Cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- Mix all ingredients together and shape into patties. Size depends on your preference (this recipe size: 1 inch thick / 2 inches wide).
- Spray pan with nonstick cooking spray and cook patties on medium-high heat about 1-2 minutes each side.
- Cover pan while cooking, to trap heat and help cook evenly. Done!
Now, we say LOAD THEM UP! Top with sour cream, more chives and don’t forget bacon bits too. Great idea for mashed potatoes. Yum!
Recipe source: http://www.justputzing.com