Roast some veggies for your next grilled cheese sammie! Roasting veggies is an easy way to get a nice carmelized outside with a tender and juicy inside to your favorite vegetables. Adding a veggie to your grilled cheese sandwich is always a plus as veggies, like asparagus, are good for you! By roasting the asparagus, you’ll bring out a natural sweetness that asparagus has. A popular way to prepare roasted asparagus for a traditional side dish can involve using olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese. These ingredients are also used in this delicious grilled cheese recipe, so we’re already off to a good start enjoying this veggie in our fave sammies…grilled cheese!
Roasted Asparagus Grilled Cheese Sandwich!
Looks good, right? Donna via Apron Strings brings us this gooey goodness sammie with that tasty roasted flavor. Roasting the asparagus may take an additional step before you bring your skillet out for the grilled cheese, but it’s worth it. You’ll definitely get a more juicy asparagus for this sandwich. We also love Donna’s idea of mixing cheeses! We agree that adding some ricotta cheese definitely makes this sandwich a creamy grilled cheese sandwich. Here’s what to do:
*Makes 4 sandwiches
- 24 asparagus stalks, thin
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, finely grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 tbsp. ricotta cheese
- dash of lemon juice
- dash of cayenne pepper sauce
- minced parsley leaves, little bit
- 8 bread slices
- 3 tbsp. softened butter
- Toss asparagus in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil for few minutes, until lightly browned.
- Mix cheeses, lemon juice, cayenne pepper sauce and parsley in bowl.
- Lightly butter outside slices of bread. Spread thick layer of cheese mixture on inside slices of bread.
- On medium heat, place prepared bread slices in skillet, buttered side down/cheese side up. Layer asparagus on cheese mixture. Top off with other bread slice, cheese side down/butter side up.
- Cook until golden brown! YUM!
Note: This recipe sets the oven to broil for the asparagus. Some of us may prefer to set the oven to 400 degrees, F / 18-20 minutes to roast the asparagus or even set the oven at 425 degrees, F. Whichever way you choose, as long as the asparagus is tender and lightly browned it will be delicious. Your preference, here.
We are looking forward to roasting other veggies for our fave grilled cheese sammies!
Recipe source: http://www.apronstringsblog.com